10 Tips for a Divine NYC Move
1. DIY: You can save money by packing most if not all of your belongings yourself. By packing non-fragile items such as books, linens, clothing, and shoes yourself, you free up the professional NYC movers’ time for packing heavier items that generally take more time to pack and haul into the moving truck
2. Limit the Weight of Each Box: When packing heavy items you should always try to use a smaller box. As a general rule of thumb try to keep the weight of the box to around 50 lbs. When packing clothes, don’t put all shoes in one box—put a couple pair on the bottom of each box. Always remember to lift with your knees instead of your back.
3. Pack Your Own Valuables: Don’t let a moving company pack valuables such as jewelry, family heirlooms, or other priceless items. Pack items such as jewelry, sports memorabilia, photo albums, and other valuables yourself. You should also try to move these types of items in your car or with you if possible.
4. Get the Right Size and Strength Boxes: Use professional moving boxes for all valuables. For replaceable and non-fragile items, save money by going to your local supermarket and asking for boxes. Kill two birds with one stone by packing your clothing in bags and suitcases you already own.
5. Take the Time to Pack Your Belongings Carefully: Be sure to separate your fragile items in the boxes. You can use old newspaper, bubble wrap, sheets, blankets, pillows, and towels. Wrap fragile items separately. Don’t leave empty spaces within a box that can move and shift in transit. Use strong packing tape (not masking tape) for each box. It will take you a little longer to pack but it’s worth it to protect your valuables!
6. Get a Second Opinion: For liability reasons, professional New York moving companies are required to inspect each box they load into their trucks. An NYC moving company will advise you on whether boxes need to be repacked or are not packed properly. If you’re not sure whether a box is sturdy enough for the job, ask your movers for professional grade moving boxes.
7. Prep Your Major Appliances: Most Manhattan movers will not disconnect your major appliances for insurance reasons. You should prep your refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, washer, and dryer before the movers arrive. If you are moving a computer, back up your important data and prep the computer, monitor, and printer for the move.
8. Plan to Carry Living Things With You: Always plan to move plants, pets, fish, etc. yourself. They will need a “plant/pet” suitcase of their own.
9. Keep HazMats to Yourself: By law, New York movers will not transport hazardous materials such as paint, thinners, solvents, oils, varnishes, firearms and ammunition, bottled gas, propane, lamp oil, anything flammable, explosive or corrosive, motor fuels and oils, nail polish remover, bleach, and aerosol cans. Pack these separately and plan to move them yourself.
10. Organize Your Boxes: Loading (and unloading) the moving truck will be easier if you organize the boxes by rooms they will be unloaded into. Also, set up a staging area close to the front door to make the relocation process easier for yourself and the NYC moving company.
Ready for a Divine Move? Call us today.