No matter how much money you have, planning a move should include planning the moving budget. If you do it step by step and be organized, you will not have any surprises or unexpected costs to stress you out. The most important thing is that you start on time, and have a clear idea of your moving budget. And we will show you some useful tips on how to plan and create your moving budget without any problems.
Having a moving budget in your head is a tricky business. Sometimes things are easily forgotten in stressful times like moving times. So, having a clear image of your moving budget in front of you is the best solution. Using your computer or tablet(you can carry it around and update the information anytime) you can create a certain table or template of your moving budget. Probably the best way to do it is using Microsoft Excel or a similar software. It can help you to easily run a table and calculate your costs if you put a certain formula. Very useful and easy to use! Your moving budget table should include the following categories:
- estimated expenses
- actual (final) expenses
Categories you will put in your table depend on the type of your move and special requirements.
Decide on the type of your move
First things first, you need to know how you are going to do this move. Are you going to hire the professional movers or do everything by yourself? When you decide on that, you will be able to know which cost categories you need to put in your moving budget table.
Hiring professionals – what are the costs?
- Moving company fee – general fee usually includes paying the workers for their job and fuel charges. You should be able to know a rough number by getting a free estimate NYC. Be sure to get estimates from a couple of companies before you choose the right one.
- Insurance– some basic insurance is probably included in the pricing, but if you have some special items and valuables, you may want to consider additional insurance.
- Extra charges – if you have any special items, expect extra charges. Extra items also include flight charges, shuttle service, long carry expenses, etc.
- Packing services – if you want your belongings to be packed professionally, you will have to pay extra for this service.
You may think that moving by yourself is basically free. Well, think twice, Here are the costs you need to consider before deciding on a DIY move.
- renting a moving truck – be sure to know how big truck you need, because the price depends on that information.
- gas –to calculate how much gas you need, ask the rental company how much gas the particular vehicle needs and measure the distance you need to travel.
- packing tools and supplies – if you want to pack your belongings right, make sure to get the right packing supplies NYC. The things you need are the good-quality moving boxes, a lot of tape, markers, labels, bubble wrap, protective plastic sheets, scissors, etc.
- Insurance– insurance is very important during any kind of travel, so if you are not already insured, be sure to get it now.
The costs on your moving day
Once the moving day comes, moving budget has some more items to add to the list. Be sure to count:
- gas for your car/flight tickets – if you are driving, make sure to include the gas fees into your costs count, and if you are flying – be sure to book tickets in advance, to save some money.
- food-especially in a long-distance move, you and your family will have to eat during travel.
- hotel– if you are traveling long-distance, make sure to book accommodation in advance and include those costs in the budget.
- taking care of your pets – if you need somebody to take care of your pets on your moving day, you can check a pet hotel and ask for the fees.
Taking care of your old home
Whether you are moving from a rental or you are selling a place, there are some costs to pay before you leave it to move to a new home. If you are selling, there is a commission you need to pay. Also, there are lawyer services, inspections, and advertising that can be added on the list. Both rented and sold places need to be cleaned or/and painted, which costs you a certain amount.
Storage is often included in moving budget
Very often there are some boxes and items that can’t be loaded to your new home. So, you need to rent a storage unit in NYC for the leftover boxes. Make sure to get a storage space of appropriate size, so you don’t need to pay more.
During loading, transport, and unloading, some unexpected things could happen. Some of your items could be damaged, so you need to fix or replace them, which implies more costs.
You need to save some money?
If you are looking at your budget plan and realize you need to cut some costs, don’t worry. There are ways to reduce moving costs. One of the most effective is decluttering your home before the move. Go through your belongings and set aside all the items you no longer need. If you are not moving too many items, you can reduce the moving costs significantly. You can also sell those items online or on a garage sale, and earn some money to help your moving budget.