Divine Moving and Storage NYC NY

The Most Trusted NYC Movers and Storage Company

    • Contrast
    • Font
ADA WCAG 2.0 Section 508
Voiced by Amazon Polly

One of the many hassles of moving house is handling all the necessary paperwork. From taking care of your lease or mortgage to changing your address at the post office, there’s just a lot you need to do. You’re probably looking forward to finally moving to Manhattan and putting all the paperwork behind you. However, even after you move, there are some things to take care of. So, we’ll tell you all about the post-moving paperwork so you don’t forget anything. Don’t worry, you’ll be done with all the documentation soon enough.

Change your address

One of the most important things when you’re moving house is changing your address. You need to make sure that your bills, letters and any other mail arrives at your new home.

Two red mailboxes on a wall - change your address when handling post-moving paperwork
When you’re taking care of post-moving paperwork, you can’t forget to change your address.

So, you can either go to the post office and get this done or take care of this process online. As you know, nowadays you can take care of most things on the Internet. Well, it’s the same when you’re changing your address. Simply visit the moving to Manhattan and finish the process there. It’s a simple step that you cannot miss when handling post-move paperwork.

Take care of utilities when handling post-moving paperwork

Something that you need to do in order to be able to function normally after the move is to make sure your utilities are up and running. Of course, you’re supposed to cancel all the utilities at your previous home to avoid paying more than you need to. But other than that, you need to set up the utilities in your new home.

Now that you’re not preoccupied with finding the right Chelsea movers and you’re handling post-moving paperwork, it’s time to contact utility providers. Get this done as soon as possible so that you have normal living conditions. Contact:

  • the gas company
  • your Internet provider
  • the water company
  • your cable provider
  • the electric company
  • don’t forget about the telephone company when doing post-move paperwork

Medical and veterinarian records

Healthcare is something you need to think about when you’re moving. If you want to be able to go to the doctor’s whenever you need to, you have to handle some paperwork. That’s why a part of your post-relocation paperwork is medical records. Simply visit your doctor’s office and transfer your medical records to your healthcare provider.

A stetoscope and medical records
Don’t forget to transfer your medical records and your pets’ veterinarian records.

Your pets’ health is just as important. So, if you’re moving with pets, you should visit the vet and get your pet’s veterinarian records. After you move, you should look up vets in your new area. Then, while you’re handling the rest of your post-moving paperwork, you should transfer the veterinarian records to the new vet.

Your kids’ school records – an important part of post-moving paperwork

Last, but certainly not least, you need to handle your children’s school records as part of the post-relocating paperwork. What this means is that you need to get your child’s files from their school and transfer them to the new school you’ve chosen. It’s smart to contact the school and ask which education documents they need you to deliver. Beware: you might need to pay for some of these documents.

The post-moving paperwork is done!

Make sure you haven’t forgotten about any documents that could cause complications later. Once you’ve handled all of this and your post-moving paperwork is done, you can finally relax. You can look forward to turning your new house into a home and getting some downtime.

About Author

John has been with Divine Moving and Storage in New York for nearly two decades. Starting as a young helper and climbing up the ranks to be a staple in our organization. John has the knowledge and experience to assist our clients with any move or storage related needs. You can reach John or any of our associates in NYC at 212-244-4011

Learn more about Moving and Storage in NYC

Need NYC Movers or Storage Call