ADA WCAG 2.0 Section 508
When it comes to decluttering our homes, the hardest part to handle is our keepsakes and memorabilia. If you have a problem with too many memorable items and you don’t know what to do with them, this is a perfect article for you. Keep reading to find out how to organize and sort out before storing away memorabilia.
Why should you consider storing away memorabilia?
Keepsakes and old memories make a big part of our homes. However, there are times when keeping old and unnecessary items can be overbearing. Whether these items are old collections, clothing, or elementary school papers, you should decide whether to keep them or not. On one hand, you could declutter your home and toss away the unnecessary items. On the other hand, you could end up storing away memorabilia in your home or in a rental storage unit. Here are some of the reasons for storing your keepsakes:
- Family-related memorabilia is priceless, so there is no use of giving them away or selling them. If you have some memorable photos and documents you want to keep, make sure to sort them out or put in an album. This is one of the most efficient ways of storing away memorabilia.
- Keeping valuable items will benefit your kids. Wouldn’t it be lovely if you could save your baby’s first pair of shoes for your grandkids to wear?
- Some memorabilia items make a perfect home decoration. If you lack ideas for decorating your home, get some nice photo frames and hang your photos on the wall.
How to prepare your memorabilia for storing?
After you decide to keep some of your memorabilia, you should find a suitable storage space for them. In case you are living in a small space and don’t want to overcrowd your home, there’s a simple solution. You could put your belongings in a storage unit and save room in your home. However, you’ll need to sort out and prepare those items first in three simple steps:
- Step one – clean your memorabilia
- Step two – decide which items to keep
- Step three – find packing supplies and pack your keepsakes
- Step four – find an appropriate storage unit
- Step five – Organize transportation for storing your memorabilia
Once you finish all of these steps, you will feel way more organized and relaxed in your home. In case you are in the middle of the moving process, renting an additional storage unit can be a great idea.
How to decide which items to keep?
When you start decluttering your home, it might feel overwhelming. This might be the case if you tend to keep every single item you ever bought or got as a present. However, some items will only make clutter and serve no purpose in your home. In order to avoid overcrowding, you might want to separate the memorabilia you should get rid of. Here are some suggestions:
- Old, invalid and outdated documents
- Childhood collections of toys and other items
- Items that are old, ripped or unneeded
- VHS tapes – you could always convert them into DVDs
- Old posters, banners and other wall decorations
Depending on your style and your preference, you should decide which items are worth keeping and which are not. In the end, it’s important to declutter your home and keep items you only have use for.
Should you move all of your keepsakes?
Speaking of the moving process, this is usually the time when people decide which items to pack and move into their new home. No matter what you might be moving for, keeping too many items can be overbearing. For example, in case you are moving as a senior, you might want to consider downsizing your inventory. Moreover, one of the best ways to do it is – storing away memorabilia. If you are moving after retiring, one of the great senior citizen moving companies can help you transport all of your belongings.
Ultimately, there is no rule that says which items you should or shouldn’t keep. The important thing is to sort out your inventory whether you are moving to another home or not. Organizing your home storage space doesn’t have to be hard, especially if you do it one step at a time. All you have to do is to decide which items, keepsakes and memorabilia pieces have value and serve some purpose. Keep in mind that everything you keep in your home shouldn’t be a burden, especially not hidden in old suitcases and moving boxes.
Ways to pack memorabilia efficiently
After you decide on the best way of storing away memorabilia, you should start planning the packing process. Before you rent one of the storage units Manhattan, consider getting some quality packing supplies. If you sort out your memorabilia the right way, you can use only cardboard boxes and some wrapping paper. However, keep in mind that some of your valuable items are probably not waterproof. If this is the case, you might want to consider packing them into plastic containers. These containers are easy to find, they’re light and they come in all sizes. And the best part is – they’re reusable.
Storing away memorabilia is one of the best ways to keep your home clean of clutter and unnecessary items. Whether you decide to build extra storage space in your home or rent a storage unit, make sure to save some time for sorting out your valuables. After all, there are some pieces of memorabilia worth saving, and you don’t want to lose them or overcrowd your home.