ADA WCAG 2.0 Section 508
Are you planning to move out? If you are, you are probably wondering about storing your belongings. Storage is always necessary when it comes to moving and relocating your stuff. So, you may have already decided to rent a storage unit, but the harder question then becomes — do I need a climate controlled storage unit? Is it really worth the additional costs? A climate controlled storage Manhattan unit is 20-50% more expensive than a non-climate controlled space. If you are moving to a place which has an extremely cold or extremely hot climate, you should definitely consider it. You do not want your belongings damaged because of weather conditions! Keep on reading to find out about the advantages of climate controlled storage units.
What is a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
Climate control means that the temperature and humidity of your storage unit will always stay at a constant level. This constant level is controlled by the facility. The purpose of climate control is so that heat, cold, and humidity do not damage your belongings. However, there is no standard for what “climate-controlled” actually represents. Climate controlled storage units are typically kept between 12 and 25 degrees C and around 55% humidity. But this temperature is not final, it can be changed based on your belongings. All of this will be explained to you by the people who work with storages. If you have any questions or special requests, feel free to call guys from Manhattan Storage and ask them anything you want.
When Do You Need a Climate Controlled Storage Unit?
Now, that you have a better understanding of what a climate controlled storage unit actually means, you should be able to decide whether you need or not. However, the answer to this question depends on a lot of factors. Let us help you! Start by thinking about what you are storing and for how long do you plan on doing it. If it is only for a week or two, you can skip this, and save money. However, if you are planning on storing it for more than that, and the weather conditions are extreme, do yourself a favor, and get a climate controlled storage unit. It may seem like a lot of money, but at least you will have peace of mind. Generally speaking, the more delicate and sensitive your belongings, the more likely you should consider climate control storage unit. So, you decided that you actually need this kind of storage, it is time to start packing for it.
Items That Need Climate Control
There are several items that need special attention in storage, especially those sensitive to temperature and humidity. These are the items that need climate-controlled storage:
- Wooden Furniture – If the wood is exposed to too much moisture and humidity, it will crack or rot. So, if you are storing wooden furniture like bed frames, tables and chairs, end tables, nightstands, dressers, and similar, a climate controlled storage unit is a must.
- Leather Furniture – Leather is sensitive to switches from hot to cold. If you do not store leather items properly, moisture can discolor the pieces and cause mildew.
- Special Collections – (coins, stamps, comics, and wine). Needless to say, the point of collecting certain items is to preserve them for years to come. The best way to do it is in a climate controlled space.
- Musical Instruments – Although some of them are very large, they are very sensitive and delicate. Temperature control is a must for these kinds of instruments: percussion, strings, brass, and woodwind.
- Artwork – This goes without saying. All pieces of art need climate protection. Do not forget about your art equipment as well. Make sure to store your artwork equipment together with your art.
- Clothing – The last thing you would want is mold and mildew finding their way to your clothing in storage. If you decide to store your clothes in plastic bags and cardboard boxes, you are probably going to ruin them.
- Documents and Photos – If the temperature gets too high the photos and documents might blend together and deteriorate.
Why should you do it?
We already mentioned when do you need it and which items you should pay special attention to. So, ask yourself these questions:
- Will I be storing anything that can discolor or crack with varying temperatures?
- Will I be storing in a place with extreme heat, cold, or humidity?
- How long will I be storing the items for?
If most of these questions have answers that require additional protection, then, you should find a climate controlled storage unit. You will have protection from extreme temperatures, great air quality, an additional area from dust and debris, and humidity control. What more should you ask for? Do not be afraid to pay a little extra for added peace of mind. If something goes wrong, you will end up paying even more than you expected. Also, do not forget about insurance! If you have valuable items in your storage, make sure that they are insured. Finally, do a research about makings of a decent climate controlled storage.