ADA WCAG 2.0 Section 508
Voiced by Amazon Polly

Moving to Manhattan is usually a complicated procedure to go through. Moving to Manhattan from abroad is even more difficult. Obviously, moving to Manhattan is not going to go down the same way for two people. Especially so if those two people are coming from different backgrounds. By different backgrounds, we mean that one might have lived in Manhattan before while the other has not.

Moving to Manhattan from abroad can be a walk in a park if you prepare well
Manhattan is a large place that requires you to prepare well for your arrival

As you can probably imagine, moving to Manhattan from abroad will be much more complicated for a person who has never lived here. We are going to try and help steer you in the right direction. Obviously, our goal is to have you prepare for your move. By the end of this article, you should have found out what you need to pay attention to in a situation that we are talking about. Therefore, bear with us and get ready to be amazed.

Preparations for moving to Manhattan from abroad

Moving preparation can be made in many different ways. They may include:

We are going to concentrate on some of the things that are common no matter where you are moving to Manhattan from:

  • Getting a visa
  • Arranging transport of your items
  • Finding accommodation
  • Preparing transcript of notes for your kids
  • The first thing that you need to do upon your arrival

Obtaining a visa

The first thing that you need to do in order to be able to complete moving to Manhattan and to the USA, in general, is to obtain a visa.

The visa process differs depending on several factors:

  • The purpose of your trip
  • The duration of your stay
  • The country where you are coming from

Beware of the fact that the Homeland security agents have the authorization to turn your entry down as late as right after landing in the USA. Therefore, make sure to complete this step the proper way. Also, you should keep important immigrant documents with you. They will come in very handy in the case that the border guards need further clarification on a subject.

Image of an open passport
Make sure that you obtain a visa before the move

Arranging transport of your items

Alright, after you have obtained a visa and are certain that you will be moving to Manhattan from abroad, you need to arrange the transportation of your items. Now, this is a step that you may even not need to take.

This is the moment when you should decide whether you really need to take all of your items with you. Depending on where you are moving to Manhattan from, you might want to decide to rent a furnished apartment in Manhattan. Obviously, if you can afford to buy an apartment in Manhattan, your desire to bring your furniture, art pieces, and other items, you should. In this case, our Manhattan movers can help you out with your relocation.

If, however, you are not going to buy an apartment in New York, but are going to rent instead, it may be wise to sell the furniture that you own in the country where you are coming from. After all, organizing an international move can be tricky.

In the case that you will be taking all of your items with you, you should try and book a moving company that can help you pack your items. Packing is somewhat difficult at times. It may not always be so, but in the situation when you are expected to pack and protect all of your belongings, hiring a professional moving company NYC may be the right move for you.

Finding accommodation in Manhattan prior to your arrival

Finding accommodation in Manhattan is not difficult if you can afford to stay in a hotel for an extended period of time. However, there are few of those who can. There are even fewer people who can afford to do that and finance their move. Therefore, before you arrive in Manhattan, make sure to have accommodation prearranged.

Inside of a hotel room
You need to secure accommodation before you arrive in Manhattan

Enrolling kids in schools

If you are moving to NYC with kids, you will need to ensure that they are enrolled in school by the time the school year starts. Enrolling kids in schools after moving to Manhattan from abroad should be an easy thing to do. What you would need to do is to check whether the school of your liking can admit more students. Also, it is important to bring their school transcripts with you. Actually, you will not be able to enroll your kids in school unless you prepare this piece of document. Therefore, if you want your kids to start school on time without you having to go back to obtain the documents, make sure to prepare the transcript of notes in English before you board to plane to your new Manhattan home.

Image of a girl student graduating
Your kids need to go to school, therefore, make sure to obtain the transcript of their notes in order to enroll them in school

Doing the first thing upon arrival in Manhattan

Are you certain that you know what is the first thing that you need to do after you arrive in Manhattan? Obviously, we are not talking about what you are going to do after you leave the airport.

In the ensuing days, you should do your best to obtain work. New York City and the borough of Manhattan as its most famous part are one of the most expensive places to live in the USA. If you have made the decision to move there without securing employment first, you will be smart to start looking for a job soon. No matter how much money you might have saved up, your savings will not last for too long. Therefore, check Craigslist and go out in the streets if you are looking for any kind of a job. If you are an expert in your field, look for a company that can meet your standards. Whatever you do, make sure to find employment as soon as possible after moving to Manhattan from abroad.

About Author

John has been with Divine Moving and Storage in New York for nearly two decades. Starting as a young helper and climbing up the ranks to be a staple in our organization. John has the knowledge and experience to assist our clients with any move or storage related needs. You can reach John or any of our associates in NYC at 212-244-4011